Path: Admin > User Management > Records / Identity Tab
Each person who has access to WebTMA has a record in User Management. Proper setup of User access can help minimize problems with your database, such as accidental or malicious errors, missing or incorrect data, and nonstandard formats or nomenclature.
The Role you select in the Role field determines the options available on the other User Management Tabs. Users with the Admin Role have access to all windows in WebTMA. The User Role can be granted comprehensive access if given those rights. Settings for Technicians, Contractors, and Requestors can only be granted access to a limited subset of windows specific to their role.
General records are created for Technicians, Contractors, and Requestors from the modules specific to those types of Users (Organization > Repair Center > Technicians; Organization > Vendors; or User Management > Requestors). When the records are saved, select the User Account link on the Action Menu to open the User Management window and add Access, Preferences, and Privileges.
The Locked Out check box applies when your organization specifies the maximum number of attempts to enter a valid password. If a User has been locked out, another User with appropriate permissions can clear this check box to allow login.
Rules for User Access Entries
The following rules apply to the fields in the Access Section of the User Management > Records / Identity Tab.
- An Admin or User Role can also have a Technician, Requestor, and/or Contractor record associated with it.
- Administrator, User, and Technician accounts can be granted access to mobile applications. If one or more mobile check boxes are selected, a Technician must also be selected.
- Technician access can be restricted to mobile devices when the Mobile Access Only check box is marked.
- For Technician, Requestor, and Contractor accounts, a corresponding general record must be affiliated with the User account.
- Each Technician, Requestor, or Contractor record can only be linked to a single user account. The drop-down list for each record type only includes unlinked records (or the records already linked to the current user account).
User Role Behaviors
Administrator Roles. Administrators have complete control on this window with special rights on the User Management and User Group windows. Administrators can see all user accounts (regardless of Role or Repair Center association) and all user Groups regardless of Repair Center association. Administrator records are not visible to non-administrator users from the User Management window.
User Roles. Users with the User role have limited data access on the User Management and User Groups windows. These users can only view User and User Group records associated with Repair Centers to which they have access. They cannot view or edit Administrator User accounts. These restrictions are valuable when larger organizations want to delegate site-specific Administrator capabilities without granting full administrator access to all sites.
Technician/Requestor/Contractor Roles. Access for Technicians, Requestors, and Contractors is controlled through the User Management window not from their general records. The Window Access Tab determines which windows these types of users can see. While browse listings for other windows can be shared with these Roles through My Dashboard, hyperlinks to windows that require full user account access are not available.
Groups. When applied, all Roles inherit Preferences and Privileges from the Group level. Group level Deny values for Window Access, Data Access, and Privileges override any access granted by other groups or those set at the User level.
How to Add User Records
Most of the fields on this window are self-evident. Organization Unit is an alpha-numeric field used exclusively for a client's reference. Text entered in the field is not included in standard reports.
Mark the Default From Email check box if you want this User's name to appear by default in the From field of automatic email messages sent within WebTMA for records generated when this User is logged in.
To give some users access to WebTMA without requiring login, mark the URL Login check box. When the box is marked, you can generate a Login URL using the Action Menu.
- Open the User Management window.
- Click Add on the WebTMA toolbar.
- Type a unique Login ID — used to log in to WebTMA.
- Complete the other required fields on the window. The labels are self evident.
- Select the Role.
- Click Save on the WebTMA toolbar.
NOTE: After a User record has been created, assign rights and Privileges from the Preferences Tab and Window Access Tab. Until access is assigned, the new user cannot open any windows in WebTMA.
Want to Learn More?
Visit the WebTMA Help Page