Path: Material > Key Management > Key System
The Key System window is used to create an optional record that can formalize the Parent / Child relationships of Key records. It is used to establish multi-level master keying systems including a change key level.
To be successfully associated, the following records must belong to the same Key System or have no Key System affiliation.
- Parent Key to Child Key
- Key to Core
- Key to Lock
- Core to Lock
- Key to Bitting
- Key to Cabinet
The grid at the bottom of the window lists the Symbol Names of the different master and change Key System Levels. The number of lines in this grid is determined by the value entered in the # of Levels field. The first line or lines represent master keys; the last line is a change key.
Be sure to include a Change Key level in your Key System, which enables you to affiliate these keys with Interchangeable Cores.
WARNING: Plan your Key Systems carefully before you create the records. Most fields on this window cannot be edited once a new record is saved. They are locked permanently. This means, for example, that if you plan to use Interchangeable Cores in the future, the Interchangeable Core check box must be marked on a new Lock Shop record when you create it. You cannot return at a later time to edit the record and add this ability.
How to Add Key Systems
Key Systems cannot be added until you add a Lock Shop record.
- Click Add on the WebTMA toolbar.
- Enter the unique Code for this Key System. See definition above for caveats.
- Type a Description of your Key System to help identify it.
- Select the associated Lock Shop.
- Type a numeric value to determine the # of Levels for this Key System.
- Complete any needed elective fields as defined in the previous topic. Reminder: If you plan to assign cores in the future, be sure to mark the Interchangeable Core check box. It cannot be edited later.
- Click Save on the WebTMA toolbar.
After the record is saved, WebTMA adds lines for each level determined in the # of Levels field. Initially these are labeled Level: 1, Level: 2, etc. You can edit the lines to rename and add any related Fees as well; however, you cannot add more levels once your new record is saved.